"Don't wait until everything is just right. It will never be perfect. There will always be challenges, obstacles and less than perfect conditions. So what. Get started now. With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, more and more skilled, more and more self- confident and more and more successful." -Mark Victor Hansen

Friday, May 16, 2008

Another Book I'm Reading


At the same time I bought The Breastfeeding Book I also bought The Best Birth: Your Guide to the Safest, Healthiest, Most Satisfying Labor & Delivery by Sarah McMoyler.
I haven't had the chance to read through the whole thing yet, but I'm slowly working on it. So far, I'm getting the vibe that I'm not sure this book is really what I was looking for, but there's a lot of good info in it based on the first 5 chapters I've read. The author spends a lot of time talking about the different options available for pain relief. She mentions that you're not a failure if you get the epidural and she talks a lot about dads getting really involved in the labor and delivery process. She also mentions how to cope with the pain. I'll give a full review when I'm done reading it, but so far this sounds like a good book for anyone planning on having a good hospital birth experience.

Right now I'm only 5 and a half weeks along and there's a LOT of time before I really have to think about labor, but I decided that I really want to be more involved in what happens during my pregnancy and during labor and delivery. I'm going to be doing a LOT of reading in the next 9 months.... With Camron I really thought I was well prepared for it, but looking back there's a lot that I didn't know back then. Knowledge is power and I plan to be armed with a whole lot of power before this baby comes in to the world!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi-- I am 12 weeks along and my sister just got me a couple of great books. The "Joy of Pregnancy" which covers what is happening through the whole pregnancy. I really like the tone and the warmth of the writer. She is a nurse.

Another one which is so much fun is "The Girlfriend's Guide". I don't think it is very accurate medically but it sure has been a hoot to read. Good luck to you!